Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolution


For me, New Year's is the best thing about winter. I love when January 1st rolls around. Not only are we already one week or so into the nights getting shorter and the days getting longer, the 1st of January sings out "fresh start." I really do feel like it's a clean slate. I rarely make a mistake in writing down the old year when filling out the date on something. I am just that excited about a new year being here. And I love making fresh promises to myself.
This year, my new year's resolution is to read all of the Oz books. What? You didn't know there was more than one? Well, until I opened a children's book store, I didn't know that either! But L. Frank Baum, in addition to a number of other books he wrote for children, wrote a total of 15 Oz books. I suppose they should be read in order, but I'm just going to read each title as I acquire it. In my long checkered reading past, I've only read two, and that was a couple of years ago...The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and Ozma of Oz. The latter was a bit strange, I remember reading a couple of chapters before going to sleep and then having very odd dreams. I'll read it again this year and find out if the same thing happens again... In any case, I'm going to start with my copy of "The Scarecrow of Oz," first published in 1915. Here's the entire list of Oz books, so you can follow along.

The list is in the order of publication ("The Scarecrow of Oz" is number 9).

The World of Oz

How many of these have you read?

__ Wonderful Wizard of Oz
__ Marvelous Land of Oz
__ Ozma of Oz
__ Dorothy & the Wizard of Oz
__ The Road to Oz
__ The Emerald City of Oz
__ Patchwork Girl of Oz
__ Tik-Tok of Oz
__ The Scarecrow of Oz
__ Rinkitink in Oz
__ Lost Princess of Oz
__ The Tin Woodman of Oz
__ The Magic of Oz
__ Glinda of Oz
__ Little Wizard Stories of Oz

1 comment:

Leah said...

I can't wait to read all these books with my kids! Thanks for listing them, makes it easy to read them in order :)